Sunday 24 May 2015

The Nerd-Geek Challenge Prompt 4: Fantastical Beast!

 *Disclaimer: some items in this blog post have been previously received for review.


Hi everyone!

I'm having a very busy weekend so this post will be a bit shorter - but equally as fun! :D

It's the FINAL prompt for Franzi's and mine's Nerd-Geek Challenge!! Today's prompt is "Fantastical Beast". Guess what I picked? ;)

I picked Harry Potter's phoenix! This beautiful bird is called Fawkes and he helps Harry in the second book to basically not die - phoenix tears have healing powers!


The inspiration is as follows: on my index finger and pinky I recreated some ash, because when phoenixes (is that the right plural form?) die, they burn up into a pile of ash and then they rise again from their own ashes. I used a sponge to dab on lots of greys and I love the result!


On my middle finger I made a red/gold gradient and stamped using gold polish and Born Pretty Store plate BP-54 (see my review of it here). The image that I used is actually leaves, but I turned it upside down because it resembles feathers that way and I was too lazy to freehand them haha.

On my ring finger, I placed a stamping decal that I made myself with Born Pretty Store plate BP-51 (see my review of it here). It was my first time doing this and it turned out okay, but next time I should use a different top coat as my Fast Drying one from Only You made the decal kind of stiff.


I used a whole bunch of polishes - here they are! Essie Chincilly, Arcancil (I forgot the name and can't look it up right now), Only You Stormy Monday, Essie Urban Jungle, Only You Black Passion, Opi Big Apple Red, Catrice Goldbusters, Born Pretty Store gold stamping polish (see my review of it here).



So, what do you think? My middle finger didn't turn out as I had imagined it, but I love the ash nails and it was really fun to make my own stamping decal!

Thanks for reading!


30 comments:

  1. I like it a lot, not to mention I like Harry Potter a lot - and I'm Severus Snape fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you!! Yay for Harry Potter! :D

      Delete
  2. You are a real HP-Fangirl, are you?! ;) Love it! Immediately as I saw it, I knew this will be inspired by a phoenix, didn't know you took the inspiration from HP again, though.
    I really like the idea, that you turned the leaf into a feather, that's really creative!
    My post will be up later today, I'm curious to hear your opinion!
    Thank you so much Robin, for this awesome challenge collaboration! I hope we can do this again!
    And thank you to all readers here and on all the social medias! I hope you had as much fun as we had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha of course I am! Aww that's great that you immediately saw it wa inspired by a phoenix! :D It definitely was super fun, WE MUST DO IT AGAIN!!! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is amazing! I love the ashes effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I looooved the ashes effect a lot, I'm going to do an entire mani with only the ashes effect haha :)

      Delete
  4. Gahh, I love these!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg im so in love <333 im a big HP fan and id wear this mani with pleasure! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's fun to know!! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Amazing design, I love your inspiration. Thank you for this geek challenge. Big hug and congrats for your nail art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you participated in our challenge, you made amazing designs!! :D

      Delete
  7. Hele leuke nail art en past goed bij die afbeeldingen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel Miriam!! Ik ben blij dat je dat zegt! :)

      Delete
  8. A phoenix!! Very nice choice! :D
    I like your idea to include the ashes and the feather in the nail art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I did the ashes nails because those are my favourite! :D

      Delete
  9. Great mani Robin, I love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I love that you incorporated the ashes as part of your concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to like the ashes a lot, I'm so glad I did them! :D

      Delete
  11. Looks really cool! :) I am going to watch exact this movie right now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I watched the two last HP movies a few days ago as well! :D

      Delete
  12. This is so pretty, I love it, and I love Fawkes as well <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredibly beautiful! I LOVE phoenixes :) The colours you used are so pretty and really work perfectly with our theme :) <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ithi!! I'm so glad you like it! :D

      Delete
  14. Count me in on HP Fangirl. Loved your inspiration. so beautiful and perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!! Haha seems like a lot of people are HP fangirls! :D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)